05 May 2009

Photo Summary part 2

After Warsaw, we made our way by plane to Scotland. We landed in Edinburgh and enjoyed the city for about 4 hours before we caught a bus to Inverness. I have to say that I had no real expectations for Scotland and I was absolutely blown away by this beautiful land. Everywhere we went was breathtakingly beautiful and filled with friendly and entertaining people. 


Edinburgh was lovely. I could have easily enjoyed a few more days there taking in the landscape, castles, culture and history. 

I was surprised with how much I really fell in love with Inverness. I have to admit that seeing Loch Ness was not very high on my life to do list, I took the chance because the opportunity arose, not because I necessarily orchestrated it that way. As soon as we arrived in Inverness, I understood why it should have been much higher on my list! Not only is Loch Ness beautiful and mysterious, the whole region is incredibly rich with culture and Clan history. Above is a picture of the ruins of Urquhart Castle with Loch Ness in the background. This castle was blown up by the last inhabitants in order to prevent it from being used as a base for Jacobite forces in the British struggle for the throne in the late 1600s that ended the Glorious Revolution. I would recommend a stop here to anyone who has a chance, it was well worth the 4 hour bus ride to get there! 

Having a Hootananny in front of Hootananny's, Inverness' most popular pub-home to a lively live-music scene and popular destination for tourists and natives alike!

St. Andrews, hometown of the game of golf, was a lovely day-trip away from Dundee, where Isabelle studied for a year. Above is a poor pictoral representation of the incredible ruins of an old cathedral turned graveyard located directly on the North Sea. This place was beauiful in a way that I cannot describe with words and could not capture in a picture. The sheer size and openness of this cathedral lent it an air of holiness that I have not felt even in the most decorative and lovely cathedrals of Europe. 

There was a whole lot of silliness on our whirlwind adventure and for that I am so grateful. Here I share a kiss with one of my favorite animals!





No comments: