Here are the 4 PH students in Warsaw - my lovely travel companions, Amy and Isabelle, and our dear friend and tour guide (as well as Warsaw native) Ewa. You may or may not be able to tell from this picture that it was unbelievably cold there...but well worth the trip. We were also blessed with more sunny days than cloudy - a huge blessing in February!
Much of our time in Warsaw centered around food. I think it is quite possible that I gained about 5 pounds in Warsaw alone...all of the food was absolutely delicious, plentiful and dirt cheap!
This is one of my favorite pictures from the trip - the three of us in front of the "Kulturpalast" in Warsaw - a gift from Stalin to Warsaw in the 50s - a prime example of Communist architecture and just one of many examples of the living and continuing history of this incredible city
This is one of my absolute favorite monuments ever (being a history and memory freak, I pay attention to stuff like that - how and why history is remembered tangibly and intangibly) This is a memorial to the citizens of Warsaw who led the uprising against the Nazis in 1944, completely without allied help - they wanted the uprising to be something that they themselves, as residents of Warsaw and captives of the Nazis, did themselves. A huge percentage of the population died in this attempt and the memory of this event is still fresh and quite sensitive in the hearts and minds of Warsaw residents to this day. A friend of Ewa's, when asked if she wanted to come with us to the recently opened museum memorializing this uprising, replied that it was all just too sensitive and emotional and that she couldn't bring herself to go there because it is just too sad. This memorial, near the center of Warsaw, has such movement and purpose to it - I was incredibly moved by this great sculpture.
28 April 2009
Photo Summary part 1
In an effort to jump back on the blogging train, I am including here a brief photo summary of my 2 month break. During this long stretch, I was able to visit Warsaw, Scotland (including Edinburgh, Inverness and Dundee), Dublin, Cologne, and Lake Constance. I was also overwhelmingly blessed by visits by Gillian and my mom! As you can imagine, these past few months have been incredibly rich with new experiences and great time with friends old and new. Hopefully it is true that a picture is worth a thousand words, so that you all can understand just a part of this time that I treasure so much. Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment