Family and Friends,
I sit here in wonder as I reflect on the journey in the last year that has brought me to this place...Two months in Germany already passed and I have so much to be thankful for. As I embarked on this journey, I had as keen a sense now as I did then that all of this is made possible by the incredible network of love and support provided by you all. You all truly lift me up and make me strong enough to face whatever the future holds because I rest assured in the knoweledge that I have an incredible safety-net of love backing me up (and probably the loudest cheering section as well) So, as I think of what I am most thankful for this Thanksgiving, the first thing that comes to mind is of course the small army of loved ones who believe in me and challenge and encourage me to chase my dreams.
Beyond that, though, I am accutely aware of the Source of the strength and love that you all provide me with - our Beautiful Savior - whose unending, unchanging love challenges me every day to see creation and his people through His eyes. Thank you all for teaching me aspects of the Father's heart through your words and actions. As I live in a vastly different culture and come to know and love people here, I rejoice in the unending source of love that fills me anew each day.
Life in Germany has shown me in new ways the things that I am thankful for (both superficial and not so superficial) I will forever be thankful for people who bag groceries...trying to pay and bag my groceries in the bags that I brought is always an interesting adventure. I will also always appreciate the wide array of ingredients and gluten-free foods we have at home...Germany is about 10 years behind the gluten-free bandwagon, apparently. I am also thankful for Target and the availability of one-stop shopping. I can't decide yet if I am more thankful that stores are open on Sundays in the States or if I am more thankful for the mandatory pause and rest that closed stores provide on Sundays in Germany - that one might come out a wash (although, there have been a few tight weekends with a mostly bare refridgerator)
In my German Thanksgiving spirit, I would like to wrap up by expressing my thankfulness for our nature as relational beings and the value of communication. Living and interacting in another culture has lent new meaning to communication and relationship. Because of this, I truly cherish the incredible instances of relationships that cross cultural backgrounds - what a gift we have in our hearts for others, and what a gift to be able to communicate our hearts to others. I am daily awed by the beauty of human connection, and the vehicle of that connection, language and communication. I am thankful that our hearts are so intertwined that I can miss you all so much from an ocean away. I am also thankful that our hearts are so structured that they continue to reach out and form connections even in the aftermath of pain, hurt and confusion. The power of connection and the satisfaction of understanding and being understood are great and powerful gifts.
Sorry if that got a little philosophical :) I am thankful for you all and miss you more than I have the power to express with words. I carry you all in my heart, and thank our Heavenly Father, giver of all good things, for such a privilege.
Now, because we all know that I have an extremely high word-quota, I would like to include a list of things that I am especially thankful for this year (in no particular order)
-Skype
-Not having to pay separate utilities
-bicycles
-online dictionaries
-internet in general
-scarves
-crocks
-the incredibly generous International office here (that just offered to fund our Thanksgiving celebration on Saturday...hooray! I'm not going to go broke feeding 30-40 people!)
-German coffee, chocolate and ice cream
-Peanut butter
-the bar :)
-trains, and student tickets
-maps
-good friends, old and new
As you can see...I am overwhelmed by things to be thankful for...I love and miss you all, eat some extra turkey, cranberry sauce, and mashed potatoes for me :)
No comments:
Post a Comment