07 December 2008

Confessions of a Delinquent Blogger

My faithful readers:

I am a delinquent blogger...you wouldn't believe the backlog of half-written blogs that are clogging up my thoughts, and yet, I cannot seem to find the time to upload the pictures and write them. Subsequently I have two thoughts/hopes: 1. that you all are just as busy as I am in this crazy time of year and aren't checking my blog that regularly 2. that you all will overlook this delinquency and continue reading my blog as soon as I continue writing in it! 

To tide you all over (because of course I am on my way out the door to go to lunch then go see Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carole" at the Jakobus Theater here in Karlsruhe...so cultured, I know) I would like to fill you in on some of the intricacies of cultural differences that I encounter daily. Today's lesson is about food. The following are two actual conversations that have taken place within the last week or so (translated, of course, for your convience)

Incident #1:
(setting: the train, approximately 6:30pm)
Thomas: I'm hungry
Me: Me too...maybe we should eat some dinner
Thomas: Ok, well, what are we going to eat?
Me: Well, we could make pasta, or chicken stir-fry.
Thomas: But I've already eaten warm today.
Me: You are so German!
Thomas: Well, why do you think Americans have an obesity problem?
Me: I'm pretty sure it has nothing whatsoever to do with the temperature of the food.
Thomas: Well, I guess you're right, but I still already ate warm today.
Me: (laugh and roll eyeballs)

Incident #2
Me: Thomas, what are you doing for lunch?
Thomas: I don't have plans. Lets eat together. But I don't have any food.
Me: Well, I have lunchmeat and cheese.
Thomas: Oh, well, I do too. And I have tomatoes and mozarella.
Me: Mmm...sounds good to me.
Thomas: But thats all breakfast food. 
Me: (rolling eyeballs) You are so German.

I am so not even exaggerating these conversations. They happened (more or less) exactly as here replicated. Germas are so funny about their food. Who cares how many times you eat warm in a day? Who cares when you eat warm in a day? (here its mostly midday, then something cold in the evening) Also, since when is salad, lunchmeat and cheese only for breakfast? I tell you what, these Germans are crazy! As much as I am blending in here more and more, I just can't break myself of my "American" conceptions of food and meals...and thats okay with me! 

More to come, I promise! ~love~

1 comment:

Jessica said...

who's thomas? j/k, but i really don't know anything about him so send me an e mail or SOMETHING! guess, what? we just got skype. i don't know how to use it, though. gillian is coming tomorrow so i may recruit her for her expertise! hope to "see" you soon! hooray! xo