Short version: I go to class about 14 hours per week and in the mean time, read, work on grammar, watch movies, and cook. (not necessarily in that order)
Bekah version: I am still getting used to the German system of classes meeting only once a week (for 90 minutes) and the fact that I am taking 9 classes right now. 3 of those classes are classified as "German as a foreign language" classes (translation, I am reminded how terrible I am at German grammar) where I am there as someone who is learning German. I have a love-hate relationship with these classes. They are comfortable in that I am with fellow foreign students who empathize with my hatred of noun genders, adjective endings and subjunctive prepositions (aka "verb kickers"). However, these classes deal with the finite details that formulate the border between being able to speak a language passable and true fluency.
3 Other classes are for German students and include: Film and Literature of the Weimar Republic, Modern German Literature and the EU in International Relations. Number one: I love these classes. Number two: I may or may not be in WAY over my head. The fantastic news is that the professors are glad to have exchange students in their classes and are very sympatheic to my situation. One of the coolest things that happened was that last week one of the most well-known modern German authors came and talked in our modern-lit class and read a selection from his new book. It was a surreal experience to look at the picture of the author on the back cover of my book, then look up and see the man in the flesh. I was a little star-struck.
I am also doing a teaching internship at a high school, teaching English one day a week. That starts tomorrow...I'll keep you updated on that one.
Meanwhile, I am working on my skills of reading in German by mostly not allowing myself to read in English for a little while. I eat a rediculous amount of chocolate. I found popcorn at the grocery store last week (translation: I have been eating a rediculous amount of popcorn as well). Homesickness comes and goes...which means that homesick comes most notably when the sun decides to take a vacation and leave rain to rule the weather for 4 or 5 days. I MISS COLORADO SUNSHINE!! Luckily the sun returned yesterday and decided to stick around for today, so things are looking up at the moment.
For those of you who are curious about the post title, I went out with Cindy for her birthday on Friday night and we decided to get all dolled up for our night on the town. That means that even though it was raining and gross outside, I wore a skirt and heels. It will take a very big occasion to convince me to wear heels ever again in this city full of cobblestones! As we were crossing a side street, my heel was stuck and my foot came right out and landed directly in a puddle. I had to retreat back several paces to retrieve my shoe from its wedged position. Lesson learned. Now that I have entered the time of "everyday life" in Karlsruhe, I am becoming acquainted with the intricacies of German student life. The learning curve is a bit like a roller-coaster here, but I really enjoy it.
Hope you all feel better informed, if not more entertained! ~love~
3 comments:
This makes me want to be in SCHOOL again! I miss being totally overwhelmed by another language's grammar rules! :)
Ok Felicity....I love that you were starstruck at seeing the author of the textbook! It's only funny to those of us who don't love academia....but I love you!
I totally relate to this post--so awesome!
Also, for some reason, every time I hear about the Weimar Republic--it has come up in class this semester--I think of you. Have you seen the movie Metropolis? It's an incredibly old German production, but it is all about modernization and the state.
Post a Comment