21 September 2008

A little Emily Dickinson does the soul good

Because I am too tired to share with you the excitement of my day, I will just share this poem I stumbled upon tonight that blessed my soul (as Emily Dickinson is wont to do)

Dare you see a soul at the white heat?
Then crouch within the door
Red is the fire's common tint;
But when the vivid ore

Has sated flame's conditions,
Its quivering substance plays
Without a color but the light
Of unannointed blaze.

Least village boasts its blacksmith,
Whose anvil's even din
Stands symbol for the finer forge
That soundless tugs within,

Refining these impatient ores
With hammer and with blaze
Until the designated light
Repudiate the forge.

~Emily Dickinson

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Emily is always a ready friend when needed:) Miss you, my dear, thoughtful, German friend!

Jonny said...

Glad to know you made the trip across the pond safely! I am also more than mildly excited that we are blogging partners. Also, Irresistable Revolution is....well, irresistable. I am glad you are enjoying it. Reading that book was such an encouragement to me; it let me know that I am not crazy for seeing the world the way that I do. I may be crazy, but for other reasons. Hope this finds you well!