23 September 2008

And so it is

The city of Karlsruhe is absolutely beautiful. The weather changes often but I have seen the sun at least once every day, a great comfort to my Colorado heart. As is often the case, in the smallest moments I find true peace and sense of home. With each passing day I believe more and more that I can feel safe and at home here - that this is a place where my heart has room to grow.

On Sunday evening Cindy and Lea came over and we walked through the castle grounds. Sundays in Germany are funny in that almost all businesses are closed (the only exceptions being cafés, some restraunts and some drug stores) so the park was full of families and friends out enjoying a restful day. I find it interesting in a country that has largely abandoned religion, the day of rest remains so strictly in place. Anyway, the castle is beautiful and the grounds extensive and well-groomed. We went to the playground with Lea and I have to say that Germans know what they are doing when they make playgrounds - they are fantastic
 (more on that later...) Then, as we were walking back through the park, there happened to be a launching of a hot air balloon from the middle of the park. We got to watch as they spread out the balloon and filled it with air - it was fun to watch it take off. Lea checked its progress every few minutes, always making sure she could see it, and noting that it kept going higher and higher.
Me and Lea in front of the castle


I have begun attending an intensive language course here which has proven more effective as a meeting place for new friends than a challenging class in which my German will improve (the subject matter is rather elementary). However, it is helpful to get back into discussing, taking notes and learning in German, and perhaps more helpful to enter into a ready made group of friends.
These are some of the people in my class: back left is Johann from Paris, next to him is Sophie from Switzerland, at the head of the table is Chad from North Carolina, next to him is Justina from Prague and in the back right is Jonathan from North Carolina. The last two nights Johann has cooked (last night was very much a collaborative effort) and it took about two hours from the beginning until we started eating - something with French perfectionism concerning food I guess! 

I always intend to keep these posts short and managable, but it seems that I have failed yet again! As I walk through my days here, I am continually reminded of the call to love - I am here to love and to live fully, as I am daily filled with love and true life. And so I will begin anew tomorrow and the days following - I journey on. ~love~

1 comment:

Jonny said...

i would probably have to agree that the available community trumps subject matter in terms of value. all the learning in the world cannot replace the need for stimulating interaction.