11 September 2011

breathe the crisp fall air...and be happy

i have the feeling i've been a bit of a negative nancy lately, especially in my blog posts. this is due to 1. the looming dedline for my masters thesis (which is still not writing itself and therefore not even close to where it should be) 2. the waning of my very favorite season: summer.

summer in germany is just my favorite: festivals around every corner, long days, grill parties, fresh fruit and vegetables, flip-flops, long (dry) bike rides, dresses and skirts, swimming, sunshine, fun...need i go on?

however, i have been reminded these last few days of the many joys of fall, particularly fall in Baden. (although the absence of football is hard to forgive...) in my "summer is almost over, i'm going to yell at the weather lady every time she says this is going to be the last day of summer weather" slump, i tend to forget all of the best things about fall. aside from the beautiful leaves and the crisp fall air, Germany has particular joys to offer during this time.



one of my favortie features of fall is Neuer Wein - its like slightly fermented grape juice with a low alchohol content. trust me, it tastes better than it sounds. sweet. with a little bit of fermented goodness. germans drink this along with Zwiebelkuchen (literally "onion cake" - more like onion bread) due to that pesky allergy of mine, i do not consume the zwiebelkuchen, but i do enjoy the neuer wein - i think it pairs well with just about everything. like grown up grape juice. red wine. white wine. i like them all. these little stands appear all over with people selling apples, juice, wine and neuer wein and it is lovely.

Neuer Wein

another favorite that i completely forgot is my all time hands down favorite soup - Kürbiskremesuppe aka pumpkin soup. not only is this heaven in a bowl, i also cannot seem to make it myself (never, ever believe that peanut butter is the secret ingredient...its not) making it an extra special treat for fall - hooray!

photo from here

so, although the days are getting shorter and colder, the crisp morning air gives reason to rejoice. each new season has so much to offer. since living in germany i have come to appreciate each season more thoroughly - probably due to the fact that germans associate certain customs and particuarly food with each season, and those things are only available in that season. like candy corn and peppermint m&ms, but way better. so, don't worry about me - i'm still taking breaks from long stints in the library to enjoy life. ~love~

4 comments:

emily g. said...

I love kürbiskremesuppe! (and not just the word :-p) I have never heard of neue wein though. Sounds delicious - I'll have to check it out! I love the fall season, but I do have a hard time with days getting shorter. There is nothing worse to me!

Michelle said...

I'm so glad to hear that you're a summer girl too! Everyone is so excited about the colder weather, and I've been so sad to see summer go. It was literally 90 degrees one day and 50 the next. *tear* But Fall does sound awesome over there! Care for a visitor? ;)

Bekah said...

ugh...the shorter days definitey get me down and i had to remind myself to think happy fall thoughts when i walked outside this morning and it smelled like fall.

michelle - i ALWAYS care for a visitor :) love to you and hank!

Sue Jonas said...

mmmmm....this makes me want to find a good pumpkin soup recipe...I think I'm up to the challenge because it sounds amazing right now!!! Wish me luck. I'm sad I can't be there with you to enjoy some of that multi-syllabic beverage that I can't get here anyway...so I'll stick with the pumpkin soup! xoxo