so, all of you sound of music fans (read: me) might be wondering why germans used to call young, unmarried women "fräulein" but nowadays they just call all women, regardless of marital status "frau" (kind of like miss and ms. - but different, because in this comparison, there would be no mrs.) well, thanks to my research, i am learning all sorts of things that are interesting and completely unrelated to my topic!
for fun, i will quote the article here (mostly because I want a copy of it!) and translate for all of you non-german speakers below!
Frau oder Fräulein
Wien, 13. März (Südena). Die weiblichen Abgeordneten der Sozialistischen Partei Österreichs beantragten im Nationalrat ein Bundesgesetz, nach dem alle in Österreich lebenden weiblichen Personen ohne Rücksicht auf ihren Familienstand nach dem 21. Lebensjahr das Recht haben sollen, in der Öffentlilchkeit und gegenüber den Behörden die Bezeichnung "Frau" zu führen.
(Badische Zeitung: Länder-Ausgabe. 15. März 1949, Seite 8)
Basically, it said that the women of the socialist party in austria submitted a petition to the government stating that all women should have the right to be called "frau" from the time that they are 21, regardless of marital status.
don't you all feel like you learn things from me?
now back to work... ~love~
4 comments:
Your thirst for knowledge is inspiring...as always! Thanks for clearing that mystery up for me, and yourself. xoxo
awesome! What are you studying/writing your thesis on?
haha...so funny. Only I've been called Frau in germany since I was 17! hah!
Here's another Sound of Music fan!! I love your recent posts. :)
and I love you!
xoxo
Post a Comment