May I suggest the following:
1. Flowers. You can never go wrong with flowers. Buy them for yourself. Convince someone else to buy them for you. Potted plants, fresh cut, secretly snipped from a neighborhood garden, however you get them, just do it. They are a perfectly good antidote to the winter doldrums. I bought myself a blue hyacinth and now my room smells like the botanical gardens. Unfortunately, I think this winter grey is getting to Penelope (the hyacinth) as well. I woke up this morning and noticed that one half was completely drooped floor-wards. I had to intervene with some string. I stand by my thought, though, that flowers help.

2. Chocolate. Milka chocolate is on sale this week. I bought 2 bars. Delicious. The danger here is of course eating too much chocolate and gaining a little bit too much padding for the winter cold. I'm willing to risk it though.
3. Good, peppy music. I'm enjoying Regina Spektor's "on the radio" for dancing-around-getting-ready times, and a great mix of instrumental music from movie soundtracks for oh-my-goodness-my-presentation/exam/class/meeting/work-is-in-20-minutes times.
4. Cleaning. Every day I am a bit more my mother's daughter. I am ready to embrace it. A clean room is a happy room. Organization kicks back against the chaos that robs joy (and is so often onset by that freezing cold grey just outside the window) This also ties directly to the whole music thing...dancing with a mop = anti-winter blues
5. Candles. Thats all I have to say about that.
6. Coffee. The sustinance of life. Goes well with chocolate.
Alright, back to work. ~love~
2 comments:
Oh how I love you! I am in agreement with all of your ideas, I may need to employ them all at once. I only wish I had some Milka chocolate...I"m pretty sure I can come up with an adequate substitute though! You are my joy, Mama
I would like to add a few suggestions to your list.
7. SNOW DAY! While the snow outside is nothing like what we have had at home in our past, everyone here is SUPER excited about our 14 inches. And I must say that having work and school canceled does help me see the redeeming aspects of winter. Unfortunately this is not something one can produce on demand.
8. light a fire in the fireplace. Then the gray cold outside adds to the postcard affect, and actually contributes to the magical mood!
9. Go shopping for a really cute new coat or other similar cold weather clothing items. I am often surprised how I am more willing to except cold winter weather when I require those temperatures to sport my new threads!
love you!
Post a Comment