17 January 2011

2011

a new year, a new resolve to rekindle my blogging (hi mom, i don't think anyone checks in anymore!)

there are many big things that i could talk about/update right now - coldest december in probably forever, flooding, exams, stress, learning spanish (ahem...kind of) - but i just don't think i'm up to that task tonight.

these big things shape my life, but honestly its the little things, the daily waking up, making coffee, grocery shopping things that define the tone and feel - the topography of my life.

as things started back up last week, i was incredibly thankful to go back to teaching. i love the challenge and diversity of my job! working with preschoolers, giving them their very first encounter with english through books, songs and games - to working with high school students, reading short stories, working on grammar, improving test scores. i love it all!

in my preschool class, we always start by singing a "hello song" and then i ask them how they are. i have been with most of these kids since may or june, and one little girl answers (without fail) "bad" every.single.week. its the same over and over again.
me: "how are you?"
little girl: (thumbs down) "bad. ich habe schnupfen und husten." (she has a stuffy nose and a cough)
a broken record. until last week. for the first time, she just smiled and said "good". i couldn't believe my ears! "really? no stuffy nose? no cough?" "no. i'm good."

it was a good day. ~love~

3 comments:

Shawn Brackett said...

I still follow your blog (or rather, Safari keeps up for me)! Good to read that teaching seems to be fulfilling for you.

I might be going to a conference in Switzerland (City of Lugano) in early June, by the way. :)

Tell Thomas hello for me and I hope your New Year is wonderful. I wish I could have rung in 2011 like I did 2009 (minus you in the ER).

Sue Jonas said...

Nice to meet you here! It took me 3 days to check...I got a little jaded! But youknew I would not give up. You are so gifted with children and I love how you savor the small stuff every day. Keep your chin up with Spanish! Estoy orando por ti y Te quiero! Mama

nfreyschlag said...

Loved the quote you left me. :) And love you. And agree that it is TOTALLY the little things that can make a day. Hooray for this little girl and her good day. Good luck with things, cuz, you can do it!