19 November 2009

catchup

As we all knew would happen, I am back to the status quo of not being very good about updating my blog...sorry about that! Here is a quick recap of a few things I've been wanting to post on here:

20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to go to Berlin for this momentous milestone which caused the country and the world to step back and memorialize the wonder of a bloodless revolution. We had the opportunity to take a closer, more purposeful look at how far Germany and the world has come in the last 20 years, as well as how far we have to go, and I was blessed to be here to engage in dialogue and kultural observation. I did have the privilege of hearing a scholar from the University of Berlin speak on the subject. One of the things that he focused on, which I haven't read or heard much about, was the critical role of the church in organizing and supporting protesters in the DDR. Afterward, a woman from the former DDR affirmed the fact that she and the other protesters would meet in the church before demonstrating every Thursday, where the pastor would encourage them with a short sermon, emphasize the importance of non-violence, and then they would light candles and go out to demonstrate. I thought this was an interesting point that is often overlooked in histories of this time.

Alright, honestly, I can't think of the other things I wanted to post. There will be more to come as soon as I load pictures onto my computer. I have some great snow pictures as well as a little documentation of a fun day in Frankfurt! I miss you all ~love~

1 comment:

Sue Jonas said...

Um....DDR? More info needed for those of us who are not history majors - or even history smart at all! I love you and your amazing brain that appreciates all things historical!