04 February 2009

Authentic

Authentic, that is what Amy and I made the super bowl party we attended at midnight Sunday night. Apparently. The formula for this "authenticity" included nachos (without salsa or guacamole), popcorn (salted, not sweet...the Germans weren't all that certain about that decision), corn bread, and our combined knowledge of the rules of football. ha. I was a "football expert." for a night. In Germany.

A good friend of Thomas' is (for reasons still unknown to me) a big fan of all American sports. He follows all of them much more avidly than I do. It is somewhat astounding to me how much he knows, actually. So, anyway, Stefan informed me that he and a few others would be watching the Super Bowl and I was welcome to join them if I wanted. After weeks of thinking that I would be not watching the Super Bowl for the first time in my life, I was overjoyed and, surprisingly, willing to begin watching the game at midnight! Amy of course wanted to join, and I told Stefan that we would bring some "Super Bowl appropriate food" (much to his delight!) We only stayed for the first half (and until Amy and I stopped singing along with Journey at the top of our lungs) and here are my observations:

First of all, I love nothing more than watching the confusion/discomfort of Germans when I tell them that you eat nachos with your hands. In a country where everyone eats pizza with knife and fork, nachos are a strange concept. (all Mexican food is very very foreign to them, much to my dismay) I think it is hilarious.

Secondly, I never realized how complicated football was until I explained it to a bunch of people who have never ever been exposed to it (even a little bit).

Along those lines, explaining how you play football and all of the rules in German makes it that much more complicated. 

I don't think I have ever watched a football game in which more fuss was made over the tackles than the plays.

The Super Bowl feels just like a regular football game without the commercials. I missed the commercials.

I really enjoyed my evening of American Football with the Germans (many of them were quite disppointed to learn that it was the last game of the season...I think we did a good job of creating a few football fans) As usual, this new cultural encounter left me laughing hysterically and once more thankful for this place where I am, people who I am blessed to know, and all the experiences that I am blessed to have. 

As always, I send my love. I carry you all in my heart and miss you daily. ~love~

1 comment:

AFG said...

I am slightly addicted to/obsessed with your blog.
love you brother!!
Ash