...in which I sort of skip over the fact that I haven't written anything here since Christmas and jump in to a soliloquy about my love for spring.
These days of spring - they are darn near perfect.
I track the coming green each morning when I raise my blinds.
The greatest thing about spring in Germany has got to be the flowers. I don't know if Germans are the only people who so brilliantly celebrate spring - but I know I had never seen it before my very first German spring in 2009. Under the grass in medians, on lawns, in parks - wherever there is a small patch of green - some hopeful people planted bulbs. At the first signs of spring, those first few days of thaw, these hopeful buds start sprouting - slowly growing taller than the grass. First the crocuses - purple, white and yellow - bravely lead the color parade. Then the daffodils, turn their happy faces to the sun - bidding it to shine warmer and longer than before. Finally the tulips, oh those beautiful tulips, they show off the colors of the new life of spring.
Someday, when I have a patch of green that belongs to me, I want to be the kind of person who plants bulbs under the grass. I want to live every day with that kind of faith and that kind of hope - there is life, there is spring, there is rejuvination, growth, change. I want to plant bulbs in my own heart, and those of the little ones I teach, bulbs of love, joy, patience, kindness, respect, hope - bulbs that will bloom again and again to exemplify beautiful and growing hearts.
~love~
These days of spring - they are darn near perfect.
I track the coming green each morning when I raise my blinds.
The greatest thing about spring in Germany has got to be the flowers. I don't know if Germans are the only people who so brilliantly celebrate spring - but I know I had never seen it before my very first German spring in 2009. Under the grass in medians, on lawns, in parks - wherever there is a small patch of green - some hopeful people planted bulbs. At the first signs of spring, those first few days of thaw, these hopeful buds start sprouting - slowly growing taller than the grass. First the crocuses - purple, white and yellow - bravely lead the color parade. Then the daffodils, turn their happy faces to the sun - bidding it to shine warmer and longer than before. Finally the tulips, oh those beautiful tulips, they show off the colors of the new life of spring.
Someday, when I have a patch of green that belongs to me, I want to be the kind of person who plants bulbs under the grass. I want to live every day with that kind of faith and that kind of hope - there is life, there is spring, there is rejuvination, growth, change. I want to plant bulbs in my own heart, and those of the little ones I teach, bulbs of love, joy, patience, kindness, respect, hope - bulbs that will bloom again and again to exemplify beautiful and growing hearts.
~love~

1 comment:
Glad you're back!! Spring is in full bloom up in Dortmund too! I've taken to buying as many flowers as possible for my apartment and finally got a vase to get those beautiful (and so CHEAP) fresh cuts every week from the market! Spring may exist in other parts of the world, but I think the Germans do it best :)
Post a Comment